The National Kidney Foundation has stated that 1 in 3 adult Americans are at the risk of developing kidney disease, while over 26 billion Americans already have it. Kidney disease kills more people in America than prostate or breast cancer.
People with diabetes, hypertension, family history of kidney problems or elderly people are at higher risk of kidney disease, as well as people obese people, people who smoke or have kidneys stones or some cardiovascular condition.
Kidneys have very important role in our body because they clean the blood from toxins, remove the extra fluids, regulate blood pressure, maintain hormonal balance and manage electrolyte levels. Also, they are included in the process of making new red blood cells and they keep the bones healthy and strong.
These are some of the most common symptoms of kidney failure:
- Foamy urine
- Blood in urine
- Puffy eyes
- Feeling thirsty all the time
- Weakness and fatigue
- Pain while urinating
- Increased need to urinate (especially during night)
Water retention is one of the problems caused by kidney failure, which is characterized by swollen feet and ankles, hands, stomach and face. The kidney can`t remove the excess fluids and salt from the body, which can affects the heart, liver and other crucial organs in our body.
14 foods to improve kidney`s function
- Cranberries: Used to prevent urinary tract infections. If left untreated, they can affect the bladder and the kidneys. Cranberry juice prevents UTIs by making the urine more acidic, which prevents the formation of kidney stones. Also, the increased acidity prevents bacteria from sticking to the kidneys` tissue and the bladder`s walls.
- Grapes: Obese people with increased risk of kidney disease should use the seeds and skin from grapes, because they contain lots of antioxidants which destroy free radicals and toxins. To keep the blood alkaline and protect your kidney, 15 grapes a day should be enough.
- Apples: The potassium in apples protects the heart, but it`s not that high so it`s appropriate for dialysis patients and people with other kidney problems.
- Lemons: Lemons, as well as other citrus fruits, contain citric acid which can prevent the small stones from getting bigger and it breaks up the already formed stones.
- Turmeric: The anti-inflammatory properties are great for diseases or overworked kidneys, plus it has powerful antioxidant properties which can protect the kidneys and the liver from possible damage.
- Ginger: Ginger is great for cleansing the blood from toxins and it improves blood flow. This root can also heal back pain, a side effect of kidney problems, plus it is used as s digestive tonic to relieve nausea, vomiting or stomach problems.
- Dandelion: The root of dandelion is an excellent diuretic which is used to relieve PMS symptoms as well as edema. Also, is can treat indigestion and increase bile production and flow. Dandelion has been used by Native Americans in the form of tea to treat kidney problems.
- Parsley: This herb is great for treating urinary tract infections and kidney stones. In the form of tea, it can also help with constipation and edema.
- Nettle: This herb is mainly used to treat prostate problems but it can also help with urinary tract infections or hay fever. Topic application can treat insect bites, joint pain, sprains and strains, as well as tendonitis.
- Yarrow: It has the same effect as dandelion. It fights inflammation and kidney pain, and it has hemostatic properties which can be used to stop bleeding and prevent blood in the urine.
- Hydrangea root: This root is toxic for your pets, but it`s beneficial for humans. It can treat urinary tract infections like bladder, prostate or urethra infection, as well as kidney stones and enlarged prostate.
- Celery seeds: They have powerful diuretic, anti-inflammatory and anti-stress properties which can protect the kidney and heal liver and spleen conditions.
- Gravel root: This plant with beautiful pink flowers can treat urinary or kidney stones as well as kidney, bladder or urethra infections. Also, it can help with painful urination.
- Marshmallow root: Great diuretic which increases the urine secretion and flow, promoting elimination of toxins from the kidneys, colon and liver.
Juice for cleansing the kidneys
- 1 tbsp. of dried gravel root
- 1 tbsp. of dried Marshmallow root
- 1 tbsp. of dries hydrangea root
- ¼ of apple, grape or cranberry juice
- Crush all the ingredients into a fine powder, using a mortar and pestle
- Mix 2 ½ oz. of the hers in the juice, and put the rest in a glass jar with a lid, stored in a cool, dry place
- Boil the liquid
- Put it in a cup and drink it few times a day, for 3 days
- A more simple solution is adding the mixture to warm lemon water
Except for the abovementioned foods, you should also live a healthy lifestyle to protect your kidneys. Drinking lots of water can prevent the formation of kidney stones. Also, reduce the intake of table salt, sugar and alcohol.