According to traditional Chinese medicine, every organ in our body has the highest and lowest points of energy during the day.
The 24-hour cycle can tell us when is the best time to perform certain activities, like sleeping, resting, exercising, eating or having sex. Also, it is a way of communication with every organ in our body, or the energy channels (meridians).
Human body is consisted of 12 meridians, divided in 2 groups, the yin and the yang, linked to the big organs:
The Yin group consists of organs which collect, accumulate and process substances and energy:
- Heart area
The Yang meridians exchange and excrete energy and substances:
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
According to the law of rhythm and the Chinese medicine, the 12 meridians work through a 24-hour span, divided into 2 intervals of 12 hours. When one meridian is at its low, the opposite one is at its highest peak.
The Chinese clock is used to determine which organ is responsible for certain disease or health condition. For example, if you wake up between every morning between 3-5 AM, for no reason, you may be bothered by sadness or grief, or suffering from some lung issue.
- 5 AM to 7 AM: The time of the large intestine. The perfect time for a bowel movement and getting rid of the toxins accumulated from the previous day. Combing the hair during this period can clear out the energy from the mind. Evoke feeling of defensiveness or being stuck at this time of the day.
- 7 AM to 9 AM: Time of the stomach. Eat the biggest meat of the day in this period, for optimal absorption and digestion. In the morning, consume warm meals with high nutritional value.
- 9 AM to 11 AM: Time of the spleen and pancreas. In this period of the day, they release enzymes which release energy for the whole day and help digestion. The best time for working and exercise. Possible emotions of low self-esteem during this time of the day, but also a perfect period from doing taxing tasks.
- 11 AP to 1 PM: Time of the heart. It pumps nutrients throughout the body to provide it with energy. A good time for lunch, some light cooked meal, followed by a quick nap and a cup of tea. During this period, you can experience extreme sadness or joy.
- 1 PM to 3 PM: Time of the small intestine. The food you`ve consumed before will be digested and assimilated in these few hours. The perfect time of the day to exercise or finish your daily tasks. Possible thoughts or feeling or abandonment from the subconscious.
- 3 PM to 5 PM: Time of the bladder. During this period of the day, metabolic waste gets to the filtration system of the kidneys. Great time for challenging the brain or studying. It is recommended to drink a cup of tea and lots of water to help the process of detoxification. Possible feelings of irritation.
- 5 PM to 7 PM: Time of the kidneys. Blood gets filtered and proper chemical balance is restored and maintained. Great time for a dinner or some light activity like stretching, walking or a massage. Possible subconscious feeling of fear.
- 7 PM to 9 PM: Time of circulation, when nutrients are carried to every cell in the body buy capillaries. The best period of the day for reading, and the worse for mental activities. You may feel difficulty expressing emotions during this time for day, but on the other hand it`s the perfect time for conceiving.
- 9 PM to 11 PM: Time of the endocrine system. The homeostasis is adjusted and enzymes are replenished. In order for the body to accumulate and store energy for the next day, it is recommended to go to sleep in this period of the day. Possible feelings of confusion or paranoia.
- 11 PM to 1 AM: Time of the gallbladder. You should rest during these hours, so that the body can be energized in the morning. Chinese medicine says that during this time of night, the yin energy gets replaced by yang energy, which gets stored while you sleep and keeps you active during the day. Possible subconscious feelings of resentment.
- 1 AM to 3 AM: Time of the liver. During this time of night, the body must be asleep, because the toxins are being released and new, fresh blood is produced. If you wake up in this period, you will feel have too much yang energy as well as issues with the liver and the process of detoxification. Possible feelings of rage, anger and frustration.
- 3 AM to 5 AM: Time of the lungs. Also a period of the day when you should be asleep. In case you wake up at this time, to some breathing and nerve soothing exercises. Also, keep the body warm so that the lungs can easily replenish the body with proper levels of oxygen. Possible feelings of sadness or grief.
- Maximum function- time of the day
- 1-3 AM: liver (detoxification, muscles and eyes)
- 3-5 AM: lungs (skin)
- 5- 7 AM: colon (assimilation, elimination, skin)
- 7- 9 AM: stomach (lymph, food digestion)
- 9-11 AM: spleen, pancreas (lymph, food digestion)
- 11 AM – 1 PM: heart (artery blood circulation)
- 1-3 PM: small intestine (digestion, assimilation, arteries)
- 3-5 PM: bladder (bones, teeth, elimination, cleaning)
- 5- 7 PM: kidneys (bones, teeth, ears, filtration, elimination)
- 7-9 PM: cardiac layer (constriction of blood vessels)
- 9-11 PM: duodenum (regulation of body temperature)
- 11 PM – 1 AM: gallbladder (digestion, muscles, eyes)
Minimal function- rest
- 1- 3 AM: small intestine (digestion, assimilation of the arteries)
- 3- 5 AM: bladder (bones, teeth, cleaning elimination)
- 5- 7 AM: kidney disease (bones, teeth, ears, filtration, elimination)
- 7- 9 AM: heart layer (constriction of blood vessels)
- 9-11 AM: duodenum (regulation of body temperature)
- 11 AM – 1 PM: gallbladder (digestion, muscles, eyes)
- 1- 3 PM: liver (detoxification, muscles and eyes)
- 3- 5 PM: lungs (skin)
- 5-7 PM: colon (assimilation, elimination, skin)
- 7- 9 PM: stomach (lymph, digestion)
- 9- 11 PM: spleen, pancreas (lymph, food digestion)
- 11 PM – 1 AM: heart (blood circulation in arteries)