Years of research on healthy food and what we actually consume, led Caitlin Iles, a nutritionist and biologist, to the discovery that cinnamon produced in Ceylon is not the same as the one we buy in our store and markets. What we consume is a product which is artificial and dangerous for our health, not the real Saigon cinnamon, also known as cassia cinnamon.
What are the differences between real cinnamon and the one we buy in the stores?
The real cinnamon is produces in Sri Lanka, India, Brazil or the Caribbean, and it`s very expensive.
Other cinnamon types can also be extracted from other different plants which grow in China, Indonesia or Vietnam.
The taste of the real cinnamon is sweeter and more delicious, while the color is light brown.
The other cinnamon types taste less sweet, and their color is dark brown.
The real cinnamon contains around 0.017 grams of coumarin in 1 kilogram, while the other types contain around 2.15-7 grams of coumarin per kilo.
Coumarin, an anticoagulant, is not recommended for people suffering from problems with coagulation and blood flow, which are taking medications for these issues. High amounts of coumarin can be toxic for the body, especially the liver, causing negative reactions.
The recommended daily dose of this compound is no more than 0.1 mg per kilogram body weight: for instance, if you weight 65 kilograms, you should take less than 6.5 mg a day, which is contained in one tablespoon of cinnamon.
If you are using cinnamon for medical reasons, you are allowed to take a bit more than the recommended daily amount, but only from the original Ceylon spice.
Best quality cinnamon
If you want to find the cinnamon with the best quality, you have to read the label and see if it originates from Ceylon. Also, you can buy the one labeled as “Cinnamonum Verum”, meaning Real cinnamon.
Make sure the spice is organic, because only this one is free of preservatives and pesticides.
The stick of the real cinnamon curls in a circle, while the other types are in the form of two-curled sticks.
Also, as we mentioned before, make sure the color of the spice is light brown, not dark brown.
The video below will give you the right answers about the health benefits of real cinnamon.
This super spice has incredible nutritional values.
- It is a great source of manganese, important for processing carbs and fats.
- Rich in fiber and iron, which is beneficial for proper digestion and energy.
- Contains calcium, important for strong and healthy bones.
- It has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Regular intake will boost the immunity.
- Helps beat cold and flu.
- The anti-inflammatory properties are great for fighting Alzheimer`s.
- Cinnamon is recommended for people suffering from diabetes, because it reduces the glucose levels.
- The oxidative influence of cinnamon can slow down the aging properties.
Use of cinnamon for optimum health benefits
This recipe is one of the most delicious and effective then it comes to using cinnamon.
“Spicy cinnamon sweet potato hash browns”
This recipe is for one serving.
- Half a kilo of sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp. of red or yellow diced onion
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Heat the coconut oil on medium heat, so that the entire bottom of the pan is covered with it.
- Add the onion, sweet potatoes and the spices.
- Lower the heat, stir the ingredients, cover the pan and let them cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir from time to time.
- When the ingredients get brown, uncover the pan and sauté the mixture for 1 minute.
- The food is ready to be served.
As additional topping, you can add beef or turkey meat, seeds, or scrambled eggs, as well as some herbs on the top.